South indian style Brinjal curry, which will go well with all types of rice and Tiffins like chapthi/Idli/Dosa. Use small brinjal for this type of Gravies.Recipe from Vahchef, i changed some to my taste.
- Brinjal/Kathirikai- 8 to 10 small sized
- Onion-1/2 medium sized chopped
- Tomato-2 nos chopped
- Garlic- 2nos
- Red Chilly - 4 nos
- Coriander seeds - 3 teaspoon
- Kas kas- 1teaspoon
- Dry Coconut- 1/4 th cup
- Tamarind juice-1/4 cup
- Salt- To taste
- Turmeric powder
- Curry leaves-few
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Wash and wipe the brinjal. Then make a slits in bottom and pan fry it for 2 mins and keep aside.
- Add some oil in same pan,put red chilly ,peppercorns, coriander seeds,kas kas and garlic ,fry in medium flame till nice aroma.
- Now add Onion saute it for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then goes tomato ,saute it for 2 mins in low flame.Take out the mixture in a bowl , allow to cool down completely.
- Roast the coconut for few mins or till it gets nice golden brown color.Grind the coconut with onion tomato mixture.Add some water while grinding.
- Now heat a kadai with oil, add mustard and curry leaves.Splutter it.
- Pinch some hing.Add the ground paste,mix well.
- Pour tamarind juice , add salt and turmeric powder.Add some water at this stage, cover with lid and cook for 5 mins in low flame.Check periodically it may stick at the bottom.
- After 5 to 10 mins of low flame cooking you can find some oil's losing out from the curry.That means the curry's ready.Serve hot with white rice/Roti/Dosai etc.,
- If you use little more oil to the curry it'll taste delicious.
- You can skip adding tomato's, add some more tamarind juice to the curry.
Recipe's off the Vegan Thursday started by Priya.