Remembering my childhood days...in my place(Erode) in front of the temple they will keep a very tall and gaint Ganesh statue, for all ten day or a week,every evening they will do pooja and then prasad.For that i'll run like anything :))...Then at the final day of the festival, all Ganesh will come from all over the town to the road..oh my how many variation in that statue?!!..Finally to will go the river..Wonderful days:)
Now check out the recipe,for make it simple i updated with step by step picture.
For the Outer Cover
- Idiyappam Flour/Rice flour-1 cup
- Water-1 and 1/4 cup
- Ghee/Oil-1 teaspoon
For the Pooranam/Filling
- For making filling,take a wider pan/kadi.Add in jaggery,pour about tablespoon of water.Melt the jaggery completely.Keep it medium flame.
- Add the Coconut and cardamom powder.Mix it well.
- Get a thicken mixture.Allow to cool down for 10-15 mins.
- Make in to small balls.Now Filling/Pooranam's ready.
Preparing the outer part/Cover:
- Take a wok along with the water,add pinch of salt and ghee.Bring to boil.
- Once the water boiling add the rice flour immedetly,and give it a very nice mix with any wooden ladle.
- Avoid lumps.Cover the dough with damp cloth.Allow to cool down for 5 min.Then,gently knead the dough ,make in to a soft dough.
- Cover with the lid.
Preparing Modak/Sweet kozhukattai:
- Take a small amount of dough ,make in to small ball.Dough may sticky so apply little ghee in your palm.
- Flat the dough and make it small disk or cup.
- Place the prepared filling in the middle.Now, pinch the dough all around,make it in to a small flower shape.Then gently cover all the sides with another hand,bring all to the center.
- Seal nicely.Make a beak on top.
- Repeat same with all remaing dough.Keep the steamer/Idli pan with required water.Grease the plates and arrange all modak ,don't over lap it.Cover with lid and cook it for 15 mins in medium flame.
- After that open the lid,take out the plate ,let't cool for another 5 mins.
- Then take it out,arrange it in a different plate.Now,the Modak /Sweet Koukatai's ready to offer god or serve!!
- Serve the Modak in Warm/Hot.
- According the flour,you can add water little by little.
- Without making in to traditional shape of Modak ,make in to normal shape.It'll takes very less time.