- Shallots-20 or 1medium onion sliced
- Tomato-1 chopped
- Tamarind juice-1/2 cup
- Toor dal-1/2cup
- Methi seeds-few
- Cilantro/currry leaves-few
- Sambar powder-2table spoon
- Red chillies-2
- Salt/turmeric powder
Pressure cook toor dal with 2 cups of water with adding turmeric powder.
For sambar vadai also,you can do this sambar.Sambar has to be in little bit thin, for sambar vadai..In the same way you can do all type of sambar with adding vegetables.i.e., Mulangi(mooli) Sambar,Muragakai(drum stick) Sambar,Ventakkai(okra) Sambar,Vegetable Sambar etc.,
- Heat oil in pan,splutter Mustard,
- Roast red chilly,jeera,Methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Put pinch of Hing(Perunkayam)
- Add onion saute well.
- Once turn color add chopped tomato,fry till gets soft
- Pour Tamarind juice,add salt and sambar powder,boil it for 5mns in low flame.
- Then add cooked toor dal,boil it for 3-4 mns.
- It's Done.Put some cilantro leaves on top.
- Serve hot with Dosa,Idli,White rice.
If You need more spicy u can add red chilly powder,while dal boiling.