This's a very nice,flavor full dish.Bise bela bath/Sambar Satham and Potato chips a very good combination.I liked to have with some onion Raitha.If you u trying this first time means,make with Half proportion,bcaz rice and dal makes more quantity.I did this mistake when i made it first time :) .
- Toor Dal/Tuvar dal-1/2 cup
- Vegetables-2cups (i used Carrots,Beans,Brinjal,Potato,Indian Broad beans(avarakai) )
- Onion-1 cup chopped+1/2 cup
- Tomato-1 sliced
- Green chillies-1 (striped)
- Tamarind juice-1/2 cup(thick juice)
- Curry leaves-less than cilantro
- Hing-1/2 full teaspoon
- Water-3cups+1 and half.+1/2 cup(Totally 5 cups)
- For 1 cup rice-3cups of water
- For 1/2 cup dal-1 and half cup of water
- Plus 1/2 cup of water.
To Roast and Grind:
- Channa dal/Kadalai parupu-2 table spoon
- Urad dal-1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds-2 tablespoon
- Jeera-1/2 teaspoon
- Methi seeds/Venthayam-1/2 tespoon
- Pepper corns/Milagu-1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly-4 nos
- Coconut-1tablespoon(Don't roast this,simply grind with all roasted Ingredients)
Roast all ingredients with little bit of oil one by one.Grind all these with enough water.
1.Soak Rice and Dal together for 5 mns and pressure cook with water.
2.Heat oil in wider pan.,add onion and green chilly fry till onions gets soft.
3.Now add all vegetables and fry well in oil.Close the lid and cook till all half cooked.
4.After that put sliced tomato and fry till gets soft.
5.Now add grounded mixture and Tamarind juice.Mix well ,cover the lid and cook till vegetable cooks.(Don't over cook it,we need a chunky vegetables,while bite)
6.Add 1/2 cup of water to this mixture an cook.add turmeric powder,salt,cilantro and chilly powder.
7.Now mixture's ready..open the pressure cooker and add all cooked rice to this mixture and mix slowly.Turn of the gas.
8.Heat oil for seasoning ,splutter mustard,add hing(perunkayam),curry leaves and onions roast till onion turns golden brown.
9.Transfer the seasoning to top top of the rice and mix well.add chopped cilantro.
Note:Addind cilantro,curry leaves,Hing (prungayam) more.,it's smells really gud.Mixing spoon of ghee in rice makes a very tasty rice.